Friday, September 28, 2007

Freedom from Rule, Freedom to Shop

It`s festiveal season here in Mumbai. It actually started back on August 15th, India`s Independence Day, which marked the 60th anniversary of independence from British rule. There was a small ceremony at school with the raising of the Indian flag that morning. I was lovin` the bright orange turbans and really wanted to try one on. I mean, it is my color, don`t you think? Maybe I should start incorporating it more into my wardrobe. Anyway, it was crazy crowded that day as most people had the day off and decided to shop til they dropped. This was the 1st time I`ve seen so much shopping on an Independence Day, but it`s kinda American in a way, no? It reminded me of the day after Thanksgiving. SALE! SALE! SALE! Speaking of which, you know what Indians think of Thanksgiving? Not turkey, not Pilgrims, not football. They think of it as the best time to got to the states to get the best deals on electronics. Love it!

No comments: