Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Gimme a T!



The Tiffin man brings me dinner 4-6X per week. Tiffin is very popular here. You get a full fresh-cooked meal delivered to your home or place of business.

The pictures show you how they work. The food comes in a thermos that keeps your food warm. In each thermos, are four stainless steel bowls. 1 contains rice. 1 contains 4 pieces of roti, a thin bread. 1 contains a vegetable like okra or potatoes or cauliflower. 1 contains dal, a spicy vegetable stew which comes in unlimited varieties.


Most of the girls in the hostel use the Tiffin service. Every night, around 8pm, the thermoses are dropped off by the security desk on the ground floor. Whenever I feel like it, I will pick mine up, which I can identify by my room number, F3. When I am done, I just leave the thermos in the hallway and the maid picks it up every morning. Then the Tiffin man comes later on, picks up all the thermoses and refills them for the next dinner. You pay at the end of the month.

Tiffin--healthy, cheap, tasty and filling. Mmm mmm... just how I like it!

No comments: