Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Sights & Smells That Can Bring Tears to Your Eyes

I first arrived in NYC with my mother just a few days before I started college. I remember my mom`s reaction when we got out of the cab: "Eeeww. There`s bags of garbage everywhere and it`s so dirty. You`re going to stay here for four years?!?!" I tried to reassure her by saying that all big cities had a lot of trash and dirt, including Chicago. She was quick to point out that Chicago was significantly cleaner and I quickly replied that while this was true, especially since Chicago has alleys while NYC doesn`t, it was also significantly smaller. In any case, she grew to like NYC more and more with each subsequent visit. I don`t know if she`d ever like Mumbai though. Mumbai is a lot bigger and a lot more crowded then NYC, and oh so a lot trashier. Mumbai is so filthy and the smell is sometimes so bad, that it stops you in your tracks. And sometimes, you literally do have to stop in your tracks in order to avoid the animal or yes, human waste on the ground.The picture above is the very extreme and rare, yet, around town, I have seen that mess enough times that I`ve lost count. The city tries its best, I suppose, although there`s a lot more I think it can do. Ultimately, with so many people who don`t care enough, it`s difficult. How do you make people who already live in such a dirty town feel personally responsible for their own mes?