Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Movies

Bollywood is India’s booming film industry. It’s second only to Hollywood in America and comes before other emerging film centers like Nollywood in Nigeria. As a foreigner, if you hang around long enough at Colaba Causeway (tourist mecca in Mumbai), a scout may ask you to appear in as an extra for a movie, music video or commercial. This never happened to me, but two French ladies at school got offers a number of times. They were excited at first but after a couple times, they just got sick of it. It was too hot, took too long, and they received too little food. And considering food and maybe a little fame is your reward for a day’s worth of service, that’s not so good.

The movies are mostly in Hindi. Also, they are three hours long. You will rarely see kissing in the movies. Bollywood movies also remind me a bit of Disney movies as the characters can bust out in a fantastic song and dance number at any moment.

In the pic, you can see a poster of one of the biggest movies of 2007, Om Shanti Om. I didn’t get a chance to see it, but I definitely saw a lot of its accompanying music videos on the TV while I was on the elliptical machine on the gym. And one song was THE hit at The Hawaiian Shack, one of the funnest nightclubs around. Check out the movie version here (nightclub version was a faster remix:)

2 comments:

clabrazil said...

Hey Stella! You're back. Cool. Sorry I seem to never answer your messages but I do think of you, girl! Where in the world are you now? Japan?!

Kisses,
Clarisse

TheHOchieS said...

Hi Stella!

After I saw the greatest Bollywood Movie ever, I feel like I need to watch no other. Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham also stars Sharukh and it is fantastic! If you ever are alloted time to just chill and watch a bollywood movie, watch that one. Of course, make sure you've got over 3 hours to spare...

Glad to see things are well and I cannot wait for the Japan blogging to start though it makes me sad I'm not there. I miss Japan.