Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Round and Round


Onions are extremely popular. Often, minced red onions are added as a side garnish to our meals in the school cafeteria. This vegetarian restaurant in Rajasthan takes onions to a whole new level. A heaping bowl full of whole ones for our eating pleasure. Well, not my pleasure actually—I’m not a fan.

But the food was so delicious anyway. This restaurant revolves on top of a hotel high in the sky (don’t worry NYC, your lovely revolving restaurant, though much more expensive, offers better views.) The second picture shows something also famous in western India. It is called thali and it originates from the state called Gujarat, which is right next to the state of Maharashtra, where Mumbai is located. Thali consists of many different foods served in tiny bowls. The bowls are placed on a big round platter. Waiters come around and continuously add refills of the food to the bowls til you’re full. Try it and tell me there’s not at least one thing you won’t want to eat over and over again. I dare ya. And no, white rice doesn’t count!

1 comment:

TheHOchieS said...

I too am no fan of the onion.
I understand the necessary need to season with the stuff which is great but give me a raw onion or if I can taste the taste of onion - bleck!

And about white rice, I chinese and I love white rice! It counts!

But seriously, I'm sure I'd love every bit of the thali.